Here it is: the first Samin quiz ever! Leave your answers in the comments. The winner will get an excellent, but as of yet undetermined, prize.
The Samin Quiz
1. In seventh grade, Samin was caught cheating on a test at school. Her teacher told her parents that if she had spent as much time studying as she had making her cheat sheet, she would have gotten an A+. In what subject was the test?
2. Samin has a birthmark on one of her hands, and people often confuse it for a burn. What is the shape of the birthmark?
Bonus: On which hand is the birthmark?
3. What is the most delicious flavor of ice cream Samin has ever tasted?
A. Mulberry from Chez Panisse
B. Mexican chocolate from Mitchell’s
C. Macapuno from Mitchell’s
D. Fior di latte from San Crispino in Roma
4. Samin now laughs about having burned a crucial element of a meal prepared for which celebrity guest at Chez Panisse?
A. Former President Bill Clinton
B. Paul Newman
C. Secretary of State Madeleine Albright
D. Senator Hillary Clinton
E. Sean Connery
5. In her sophomore year of college, Samin described a friend of hers who liked to spontaneously burst out into song as having “Musical Tourette’s.” This phrase is now widely used in her circle, but who was the original diseased friend?
A. Chad Smith
B. Phil Dwelle
C. Melissa Canales
D. Thirza Young
6. Who is Samin’s favorite staff writer at the New Yorker?
A. Calvin Trillin
B. Malcolm Gladwell
C. Marc Singer
D. Tad Friend
7. In trying to figure out what the eff she is going to do with herself, Samin has considered many graduate school paths. In which program has she NOT been interested?
A. M.A. in Journalism
B. Ph.D. in English
C. MFA in Creative Writing
D. M.A. in Education
8. What color is Samin’s Kitchen-Aid mixer?
B. Stainless steel
9. What does Samin almost always say food needs more of?
10. Samin is convinced she could live with a very sparse kitchen, consisting of only three items. What item could she live without?
A. Cast-iron pan
B. Sharp, heavy knife
C. Mortar and pestle
D. Spanish cazuela
11. Which does Samin love more—olive oil or butter?
12. In her sophomore year of college, Samin taught a De-Cal course. What was its subject?
Bonus: Where did the class take a “field trip” to in April?
13. What is Samin’s favorite local farm?
A. Frog Hollow Farm (Farmer Al—peaches and other stone fruit)
B. Fresh Run Farm (Peter Martinelli—shellbeans, greens, strawberries)
C. Cannard Farm (Bob—pretty much everything)
D. Star Route Farm (Warren and Annabelle—greens)
14. When did Samin get her first cell phone?
A. Summer of 2002 in Berkeley
B. Fall of 2002 in Italy
C. Fall of 2003 in Italy
D. Summer of 2004 in Berkeley
15. Which city has Samin NOT visited?
A. Houston, TX
B. Venice, Italy
C. Washington, D.C.
D. Lahore, Pakistan