12.18.2007


Copper Pots, originally uploaded by Ian Wright.

i've had the great luck of befriending the manager of the yuppie cookware shop next door. he knows exactly how big of a cheapskate i am. he is also aware of my love of copper cookware.

even though i'm majorly cheap, i'll pay a lot for something if i know it's forever. and antique copper cookware is by definition forever. so is the heavy duty cast-iron handled mauviel stuff. that's why those two are the only ones i'd buy.

still, there's expensive, and then there's expensive.

that's where my friend comes in. he flagged me down today in the parking lot to tell me that someone had returned a mauviel pot because of a scratch. a scratch that was invisible to him, and me.

and then he sold me the pot for 55% off.

this is the second time this has happened. i'm collecting a little army.

3 comments:

  1. score.

    although 55% off mauviel still ain't cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am curious...how expensive is "really expensive"?

    Oh and I reheated the marmalade with extra pectin and sugar per a recipe online for how to fix runny jams. It worked! Yay! I am hosting a dinner at my house for old friends tonight- Jenna, etc- and each of them has a little goodie bag that has a jar of the marmalade. Thank you for the great idea.

    Also- yes, I had henna on my hands. My mother has a very good friend who is Moroccan. The night before the party, she hosted a dinner (couscous with roasted veggies, etc.) and did my henna. She also lent me this gorgeous silk dress/robe/caftan thingy that I was tempted to wear...but afraid that I would spill on it. Turns out that I made the right decision, because I dumped a glass of water (not wine, at least) in my lap before the end of the first course!

    (Sorry for the essay- you don't have to post this publicly! haha)

    ReplyDelete
  3. the 2.75 qt pot was $280 originally, before tax. i got it for $140 including tax. it's still a lot for a small pot, but it is exquisitely made, and i plan to have it for the rest of my life, and pass it on to my children or a friend's kids one day.

    i don't have any fancy kitchen gadgets or appliances, so i think of it as a career indulgence.

    i'm so happy that the jam worked out. can't wait to hear about the dinner.

    ReplyDelete