8.06.2013

C U R R E N T (L Y)

image source
I'm doing something I've wanted to do for almost twenty years: learning how to surf.  It's pretty much the best thing I could do for myself right now--be a total beginner at something over which I have no control at the same time I'm writing a book for people who are total beginners at something over which they feel they have little or no control.  My instructor is incredible.  If sunshine were a person, she would be named Ashley Lloyd Thompson.  If you've ever wanted to surf, get in touch with Ashley. And tell her I sent you!

July Red Nectarines from Blossom Bluff Orchards are here.  They are my favorite stone fruit variety of the year.  The time is NOW--get thee to a farmer's market!  For those of you who are out of the area, their dried Carine Nectarines are second to none.  In other produce news: dry-farmed early girls are hitting the stands, as are Jimmy Nardello peppers.  And Annabelle is back.

BN Ranch Beef.  Holy mackerel, it's the best beef there is.

I am so excited for Marisha Pessl's new book, Night Film.  I had a little love affair with Special Topics in Calamity Physics a few years ago, so my heart's been beating a little faster ever since I heard about the new book.

Did you see?  City Arts & Lectures has a really excellent line up this fall.  Hells to the yes!

My friends Dan, Kanoa and Kellen made a little movie and wrote a book about a bike trip they took last year down the California coast.  Get a preview here.  And go meet the guys in person!

Sarah and Nicolette are at it again.  Snatch up your tickets fast--people come in from all around the world for these classes!  I think there is one spot left for the Dahlias class.

I know you know how I pretty much unilaterally prefer to eat at home, but I had the most excellent meal at a restaurant a couple of weeks ago.  Impossible!  Let me add my two cents' worth of hyperbolic praise into the ring--State Bird Provisions is undeniably fantabulous!  Holy moly is it good.  GO GO GO GO GO!

I dream of the day I can hire Sarah to design a mosaic for me.

OMG I am in LOVE with Wholier Than Thou.

I'm loving Paige's photos of Pizzaiolo.

It seems like everyone I know is pregnant.  This plus this is my favorite gift to give right now.

And...another silly Samin video. 

No comments:

Post a Comment